Acts 17 (NIV)
- They received with eagerness.
- They didn’t take Paul’s word for it. They studied. They asked questions.
- What were they studying? Paul was telling them Jesus was the Messiah and fulfilled the OT prophecies.
- They studied to check his claims.
- As a result of their investigation, many believed.
- It’s okay to have questions.
- Embrace seeking over certainty. Be open to truths you haven’t considered.
- Faith grows as we study and investigate the message we have heard.
Romans 10:17 (NIV)17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
- Questions with study = noble character. Questions + no study = ignorance.
- In the case of the Thessalonian jews, it also led to jealousy.
- How have you received the message of Jesus? With eagerness or ignorance?
- Do you have questions? Have you investigated the message? Have you studied it?